Monday, February 8, 2016

Why Music Helps



"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Anderson 
 

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything." - Plato 

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." - Martin Luther
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." - Ludwig van Beethoven

All those quotes up there? Yeah, all from smart people. Also from people who have a radical part in our history. The world would be an entirely different place if those people hadn't done what they did. Hans Christian Anderson: the father of all things fairytale-ish (which is the basis for all fictional fantasy today).  Plato: one of the key philosopher's in history. He encouraged thought and the recording of thought. Martin Luther: the father of the reformation of the church. Ludwig van Beethoven: the composer of many of the most well-known classical music pieces. 

That being said, they're all important people. And they all think that music is important in one way or another. I think that music is important too... Now, you, add me to your list of important historical figures. Please. 

Just the fact that all these brilliant people made music a large part of their daily lives is enough to follow in their footsteps. But I want to break this idea down a bit further. I listen to music all the time. Specifically when I'm writing. Why? Let's try to pinpoint some things, shall we? 

Where words fail, music speaks. No, I'm not planning on using the rest of the quotes again. But this quote is extremely awesome, especially for a writer. Sometimes it seems near impossible to get those words flowing. Sometimes we just throw our hands up in the air and go, "I'M DONE. I DON'T CARE ANYMORE." But sooommeeetimmmesss, all we need is a certain song. You know, that song that gives you the extra push of focus and writing adrenaline. Truly, truly I say unto you, where words fail, music speaks. 

Focus, focus, focus. I dunno about you, but I find it very difficult to get anything productive done when there is a form of distraction somewhere in the radius of 5 miles or so. My attention span is quite limited. However, you give me some earbuds and a playlist of wonderful music, and I can do just about anything. Seriously, my house could be under a terrorist attack and I wouldn't even notice because I go into a zone of concentration and productivity. This zone can only be penetrated if and when I choose to allow it. Let me put it this way: 


I ONLY HAVE 2 REASONS AND I KNOW THAT'S LAME, BUT ALL THOSE QUOTES. 

Anywhozies, I have a spotify playlist just for the purpose of productivity. Complete with my favorite movie soundtracks and several Piano Guys albums. You can find it by clicking here.

It's been nice chatting about music! 

Now, go! 




2 comments:

  1. Music is one of the most important things to me. Put on some Two Steps From Hell and I feel like I can rule the world. XD Great quotes!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment that you leave for me; they never fail to make me smile!